The National Waste Report 2010 is a first step towards establishing baseline data and developing a strong and comprehensive knowledge base on waste management and resource recovery in Australia. Among other things it seeks to respond to the community’s desire for information about how sustainability can be incorporated more fully into daily life.
Some Key Findings were:
• 43 777 000 tonnes of waste were generated in Australia in 2006-07.
• If waste generation grows at 4.5% per annum, Australia will generate 81 072 593 tonnes of waste in 2020-21.
National recycling profile
• 52% of Australia’s waste was recycled in 2006-07
Of this quantity,
• 42% was from the construction and demolition (C&D) waste stream.
• 36% was from the commercial and industrial (C&I) waste stream.
• 22% was from the municipal solid waste (MSW) stream.
Social – values and behaviour
• 99% of households undertake recycling and reuse.
• 80% of employees would like to see more recycling in the workplace.
• Lack of information, facilities and services present barriers to additional recycling.
• National litter levels are trending downwards.
Although the amount of waste generated is predicted to increase at levels that are nearly double that in 2006-07 by 2020-21, the attitudes of householders towards recycling is very positive. Kartaway are leaders in the field of waste management and provide a high level of recycling that meets green star certification. Kartaway are strongly committed to environmentally sound practices and have their own Recycling Depot in East Brunswick, Melbourne. Most waste is recycled, including green waste, metal, cardboard, timber, batteries, electronic waste, dirt, brick, concrete and asphalt. The Recycling Depot at 32 Kirkdale Rd is open 7 days to the public and is very accessible, clean and affordable.
Kartaway also supply a wide range of skips and bins to householders, businesses, builders, schools, shopping complexes, food courts and body corporates. Call their friendly team for advice on the most suitable skip, bin or full waste management program on 1300 362 362 or email email@example.com.
More information on the National Waste Report 2010 at http://www.environment.gov.au/settlements/waste/publications/pubs/fs-national-waste-report-2010.pdf